Tom DeLonge shares Angels & Airwaves’ impact on his life, mental health
In the video, Twitter user @JamieLTidnam90 says that during his time in mental health hospitals, he would listen to Angels & Airwaves to help him on his path toward recovery.
Tidnam then goes on share that the vocals, lyrics and sound the band created has been integral to his progress.
“Just the lyrics, and the vocals, and the sound, it was actually helping me battle through my days,” Tidnam says in the video. “I would suddenly be so happy because music can change your mind, music can change your health.”Following that, Tidnam thanks the folks in Angels & Airwaves. Additionally, he even points to an AVA tattoo and says, “That was with me that whole entire time.”
Now, the tweet has caught the attention of the Angels & Airwaves frontman.“Jamie—You gave me tears. YOU are why I do this,” DeLonge says. “Creating this band actually changed my life- it was a way of knowing that we can be in charge of our own thoughts, the idea of who we are, what we can become, and what our life experience shall be. I dedicate @AVABandOfficial to U.”
Recently, Angels & Airwaves shared a cryptic teaser to Twitter. The post in question boasts a blurry promo photo of the band with the caption, “Back before we were broken-hearted?”
If you or someone you know is struggling with mental illness, there is help to be found. Please consider these online resources and talk to your regular doctor about your symptoms:
- The National Suicide Prevention Hotline is 1-800-273-8255. You can also reach out to Crisis Text Line by texting GO to 741741.
- MentalHealth.gov – Get Immediate Help
- ImAlive – Online Crisis Network
- International Association For Suicide Prevention – Resources
- The Anxiety And Depression Association Of America
- The National Alliance On Mental Illness
- American Psychiatric Association – Finding Help
- National Institute Of Mental Health
- American Psychological Association – Psychologist locator
What band has gotten you through the hardest times? Let us know in the comments below.
See more: 16 memorable band photos