A lot happens in our scene each week. In an attempt to capture what you might've missed, we gather up noteworthy moments and package them in one convenient post every weekend. Check out this week's roundup below!
1. After saying goodbye to 2016 with a HUGE two-year anniversary party (that was streamed live by literally 100,000 people on Twitch), Emo Nite is kicking off 2017 with their first wave of announcements.
Emo Nite also recently teamed up IHEARTCOMIX LA Gives Back, raising over $50,000 for LA’s homeless youth. They also launched their new clothing line after the two-year anniversary celebration.
2017 Tour Dates
1/13 – Baltimore, MD @ Ottobar
1/31 – San Francisco, CA @ Rickshaw Stop
1/31 – Portland, OR @ Holocene
1/31 – San Diego, CA @ Casbah
2/03 – Atlanta, GA @ Masquerade (Hell)
2/04 – Orlando, FL @ The Social
2/07 – Los Angeles, CA @ Echo + Echoplex
2/14 – Seattle, WA @ Chop Suey
2/22 – Denver, CO @ Marquis
2/24 – Philadelphia, PA @ Voltage Lounge
3/03 – Dallas, TX @ RBC
3/16 – Las Vegas, NV @ Vinyl
4/11 – Phoenix, AZ @ Valley Bar
4/19 – Chicago, IL @ Subterranean
With More to Come…
Here’s APTV’s recap of that two-year anniversary bash:
2. The Flats—fronted by Chris Kerekes and produces by his brother, Mat from Citizen—released a surprise EP called Auburn In The Everlast for free on BandCamp.
Mat also plays drums for the Flats and produces their music videos. Watch “Electric Light”:
3. You Me At Six did a special live session of “Swear” for Vevo Presents.
4. Suicide Silence has released Part 1 of a 360-degree interview. In this unique interview, they talk about their new album and what's different compared to some of their previous records.
Suicide Silence will be releasing future episodes of this interview over time until Suicide Silence is released on Feb. 24. Check out their tour dates supporting the record below.
2/19 – San Antonio, TX – Paper Tiger
2/21 – Dallas, TX – Trees
2/22 – Albuquerque, NM – The Launchpad
2/23 – Phoenix, AZ – Joe's Grotto
2/24 – Santa Ana, CA – Observatory
2/25 San Diego, CA – Soma
2/26 – Camarillo, CA – Rock City Studios
2/28 – Bakersfield, CA – B Ryders
3/1 – San Francisco, CA – DNA Lounge
3/2 – Reno, NV – Jub Jub's
3/3 – Fresno, CA – Strummer's
3/4 – Santa Cruz, CA – The Atrium @ The Catalyst Club
5. For The Old Fashioned (formerly Mychildren Mybride) released a new music video called “Black & White.”
The band is currently in the studio with producer/engineer Chris Rakestraw, credited for Danzig, Megadeth, Deftones.
6. From the Get Up Kids, Matt Pryor premiered a new song from his forthcoming album Memento Mori.
Listen to “I Won’t Be Afraid” below and grab the new album on Feb. 17 via Equal Vision Records/Rory Records.
Pryor and Dan Andriano of Alkaline Trio are teaming up for an extensive full US tour this year. Check out the dates below the stream.
Feb 16 Jacksonville, FL @ 1904 Music Hall
Feb 17 Orlando, FL @ Backbooth
Feb 18 Ybor City, FL @ Crowbar
Feb 19 Gainesville, FL @ High Dive
Feb 21 Atlanta, GA @ Purgatory at The Masquerade
Feb 22 Birmingham, AL @ The Syndicate Lounge
Feb 23 New Orleans, LA @ The Parish at House of Blues
Feb 24 Houston, TX @ Rudyard's
Feb 25 Austin, TX @ Stubb's (indoors)
Feb 26 Dallas, TX @ Three Links
Mar 16 Lawrence, KS @ Replay Outside
Mar 17 St. Louis, MO @ Fubar
Mar 18 Bloomington, IN @ The Bishop
Mar 19 Columbus, OH @ Woodland Tavern
Mar 21 Pittsburgh, PA @ Club Cafe
Mar 22 Buffalo, NY @ Babeville at The 9th Ward
Mar 23 Cleveland, OH @ Grog Shop
Mar 24 Kalamazoo, MI @ Bell's Eccentric Cafe
Mar 25 Chicago, IL @ Subterranean
Apr 13 Carrboro, NC @ Cat's Cradle
Apr 14 Richmond, VA @ Strange Matter
Apr 15 Washington, DC @ Songbyrd
Apr 16 Philadelphia, PA @ Underground Arts
Apr 18 Asbury Park, NJ @ Wonder Bar
Apr 19 New Haven, CT @ BAR
Apr 20 Allston, MA @ Great Scott
Apr 21 Brooklyn, NY @ St. Vitus
Apr 22 Amityville, NY @ Amityville Music Hall
May 11 Phoenix, AZ @ The Rebel Lounge
May 12 San Diego, CA @ The Casbah
May 13 Las Vegas, NV @ Bunkhouse Saloon
May 14 Los Angeles, CA @ The Echo
May 16 San Francisco, CA @ Bottom Of The Hill
May 18 Sisters, OR @ The Suttle Lodge
May 19 Portland, OR @ Doug Fir Lounge
May 20 Seattle, WA @ The Sunset Tavern
7. The first band in 2017 released under Dark Kingdom Records (Artery Label Group/Sony), Point North premiered their debut single, “Dearly Departed.”
“‘Dearly Departed’ is really about loss and the feeling of disconnection. It could be a part of you that you somehow lost along the way, or a person in your life that was gone too soon. We really wanted to portray a sense of despair, and the feeling of knowing that no matter what you do, some things you cannot change,” the bands says about the single. “We wanted this song to be a safe place for listeners, and to know that they're not alone when dealing with this sort of thing. Hence the kid in the music video. He finds the band and suddenly everything starts to look up. All it takes is a point in the right direction.”
8. Slayer are releasing a comic book on Jan. 25 through Dark Horse Comics.
Repentless #1 is the first release in a three-part comic book series, based on Slayer’s music videos of the same name. Twilight Zone artist Guiu Vilanova created the inside artwork, and Eisner Award-winning British comics artist Glenn Fabry drew Issue #1's cover
Check out a preview of four pages below.
9. Brooklyn-based indie pop singer BETS announced a full-album cover of Violent Femmes 1983 self-titled classic album, to be released Jan. 27.
Listen to her cover of “Gone Daddy Gone/I Just Want To Make Love To You” below.
10. Homebound released a lyric video for their song “Sonder,” taken from the band’s forthcoming EP, The Mould You Build Yourself Around.
The EP is set to be released on Feb. 10 through Rude Records. You can pre-order it here.
“We as individuals get so caught up in our own lives, we often forget that there are others sharing the same experiences,” the band told New Noise Magazine. “I think ‘Sonder’ will come as a surprise to some people and maybe prove we’re not just a one trick pony.”
They will also be supporting Four Year Strong on the dates listed below:
14th Feb: The Fleece, Bristol
15th Feb: Academy 2, Manchester
16th Feb: O2 Academy 2, Birmingham
17th Feb: Koko, London