Life is hard, and sometimes all it takes are a few words of wisdom to remind you that while everyone struggles, hard times are often where we learn the most valuable lessons. Consider this our vastly superior version of those boring motivational posters that are really big in office buildings. Let these inspirational quotes from your favorite musicians lift you up when you need it most.
7. “When you have a bad day—a really bad day—try and treat the world better than it treated you.” ―Patrick Stump (Fall Out Boy)
8. “I like to be sad. I don’t know; it just makes life more bearable sometimes. I mean, I like putting headphones in and looking out the window and pretending like I’m a sad little main character of some movie…” —Tyler Joseph (twenty one pilots)
9. “No need to fear screwing up a lot, as we learn more from mercy towards failure than we do from commendation for success.” —Julien Baker
10. “Make yourself look really stupid so you don’t feel bad doing something a little stupid.” —Mark Hoppus (blink-182)
11. “”No one’s asking you to inspire a revolution, but inspire something.” —Matty Healy (The 1975)
12. “Don’t let anyone make you feel like you’re not good enough, smart enough or cool enough. Do your own thing.” —Benji Madden (Good Charlotte)
This feature originally appeared in AP #355 with cover stars PVRIS. The issue is available now here.