Tragic news is coming out of Leeds Festival as one of the attendees has reportedly died.

According to BBC, a 17-year-old girl has died of a suspected drugs overdose early in the morning.

Read More: Vaping related illness in Illinois causes first reported death in US

West Yorkshire Police are reporting the teenager from Oldham died shortly after 03:40 BST at the Bramham Park Site.

A 17-year-old boy from the same area has been arrested on suspicion of supplying drugs and is in police custody.

"Our thoughts are with the family of the girl who has died," says Superintendent Matt Davison.

The festival's police commander told the publication the exact cause of the death hasn't been determined but it appeared the girl had "taken a combination of drugs."

"To say we are deeply saddened about this tragedy is an understatement," says Melvin Benn, a representative for organisers Festival Republic.

"West Yorkshire Police have taken action against those that may have supplied the drugs, and we will continue to work with them as usual."

The representative continued by reminding attendees that there is no safe way to take prohibited drugs.

"I would like to take this opportunity to remind anyone attending Reading and Leeds Festival that there is no safe way to take prohibited drugs and there are no safe prohibited drugs."

See More: In memorium: Musicians we lost in 2019
[envira-gallery id="197439"]