annabelle comes home trailer
[Photo via YouTube]

Last week, rumors swirled on the internet that the haunted doll that inspired The Conjuring and Annabelle film franchises escaped from the Warren Occult Museum in Connecticut.

Now, Tony Spera, the son-in-law of late paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren, has confirmed the doll did not escape last week. However, in a new video, Spera reveals that the doll is no longer on display at the museum.

Read more: Mark Hoppus’ misheard lyrics meme just confused blink-182 fans again

On Aug. 14, Twitter users feared the infamously haunted doll mysteriously escaped from the Warren’s museum. The rumors began due to a recent Hollywood Reporter interview with British actress Annabelle Wallis.

During the interview, Wallis talked about how she was able to get her The Mummy co-star Tom Cruise to run on camera. According to a YouTube video, the story got changed to “Annabelle escaped” when translated into Chinese, starting the hoax.

As well, someone reportedly updated the Annabelle doll’s Wikipedia page with information regarding the escape. This further caused people to believe the haunted doll mysteriously disappeared last Friday.

Now, Spera, the current owner of the Warren’s museum, has released a chilling video confirming the doll didn’t escape. In the video, Spera shows the infamous doll still locked in its secure box.

“Annabelle’s alive… Well, I shouldn’t say alive. Annabelle is here in all of her infamous glory. She never left the museum,” Spera says.

Spera also says the museum has a high-tech security system so he would know right away if Annabelle escaped or someone broke in.

“Let’s put the rumors to rest guys,” Spera continues. “I appreciate all of the concern. I’d be concerned if Annabelle really did leave because she’s nothing to play with.”

Spera has also released a new video detailing the Annabelle doll’s history. In the video, he reveals that Annabelle has left the museum after all. However, it’s not for the reason you think.

“There are times when there’s higher activity, like now, where I move the whole case [and doll] and put it in a safe location,” he says. “We move the entire case into a secure location away from the museum at high activity times where people could be all over the place trying to find the doll.”

Read more: UFO founder and Ozzy Osbourne bassist Pete Way dies at 69

He also recalls some of the chilling history surrounding Annabelle.

“When I met Ed in 1979, Annabelle was already in the museum,” he says. “He had placed that doll in the museum in about 1971. He told me the dangers of the doll right from the start.”

Spera goes on to say that Annabelle was a gift to two nurses back in the 1970s. Soon after bringing the doll home, however, one nurse, Donna, began to notice strange things happening. Most commonly, Annabelle was always in a different location of the house when Donna returned home from work. As well, mysterious notes saying “help us” and other pleas would be found throughout the house.

Spera also recalls various other haunting stories regarding Annabelle including an incident with a detective. During an investigation, a detective touched Annabelle and felt a force overcome him. According to Ed and Lorraine Warren, he never spoke of what exactly happened to him. However, he soon resigned from his position, moved across the country and was never heard from again.

Last month, we learned that the premiere date for the highly-awaited The Conjuring 3 is delayed due to coronavirusThe Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It is now set to arrive sometime next year.

Spera’s full video about Annabelle’s history is available to watch below.

What are your thoughts on Annabelle? Do you think the doll is really haunted? Let us know in the comments below.