UPDATE: 10:14 p.m. EDT
Chad Gilbert has issued a statement regarding his injury last night during a New Found Glory show via his website. You can read it below:
While recording the NFG live album at the chain reaction last night I was shocked by the microphone. In between songs I grabbed the mic to speak and when I did it felt like I couldn’t let go. I was being shocked and it froze me in place and when I was able to release my hands off of the mic I collapsed. When I came to I had friends standing over me and it felt like I was asleep in one of those Sci Fi movies when they wake up after traveling for 3 years to fight an alien. My friends escorted me off the stage. I told the band to finish the set for the sake of the audio recording. At that point I still was in a daze. The ambulance came and picked me up and drove me to the nearest Emergency Room. After getting numerous tests off and on for about 12 hours from the friendly people at UC Irvine I was released. They checked my heart for most of that time to make sure the electrical current didn’t make my heart beat irregularly. Everything came back positive.
I am gonna play the show tonight but this time with a wireless to settle my paranoia of this happening again because man it hurt and sucked.
Thanks to all my friends and fans around the globe for the sweet messages!
UPDATE: 1:16 p.m. EDT
AltPress has just received word that Gilbert has been released from the hospital. View a tweet from the guitarist below:
Hey everyone. I just now got out of the hospital. They did tests all night on my heart & I'm all good. Thanks for your love & support!
— Chad Gilbert of NFG (@XChadballX) March 28, 2013
According to accounts from last night's New Found Glory show at Chain Reaction in Anaheim, California, guitarist Chad Gilbert collapsed onstage after he received an electric shock, allegedly from a microphone. Last night's show was one of two during which the band are recording their live DVD.
We have reached out to the band's label and to Gilbert for further clarification.