It doesn’t look like the Hellboy reboot is gearing up to be a critical success. Based on early reviews, the new Hellboy has garned an unimpressive rating of 11% on Rotten Tomatoes. At the time of press, 35 reviewers shared their opinion of the film.
As pointed out by ComicBook, the Tomatometer measures what percentage of critics actually liked the film, not its overall quality.
That said, the film has yet to hit theaters, and its current rating is based on early screenings. The reboot’s rating will likely go up once it is available to everyday viewers.
— Rotten Tomatoes (@RottenTomatoes) April 10, 2019
All skeptical ratings aside, Hellboy’s original creator Mike Mignola was apparently heavily involved with the new film.
“I’ve bounced back and forth with [Neil Marshall] about how to adapt this particular Hellboy story,” Mignola says in a story with Entertainment Weekly. “At various times I’ve jumped in and been much more active in the screenplay than I ever was on the Del Toro movies. But I did nothing so far as design stuff on the movie. Guillermo wanted me as a concept artist, but on this movie, there were other concept artists. I came in, and I looked at some stuff, but they were trying to do something so close to what’s on the comics that they really leaned on what had been done by Duncan [Fegredo] and me in the comics.”
Hellboy is directed by Marshall of Game Of Thrones. The reboot features David Harbour from Stranger Things as the titular character. Additionally, the film stars Ian McShane, Daniel Dae Kim and Sasha Lane.
The Hellboy reboot hits theaters April 12. You can watch the new trailer for the film below.
Will you be watching the Hellboy reboot? Let us know in the comments below.