Tragic news is coming out of Leeds Festival as one of the attendees has reportedly died.
According to BBC, a 17-year-old girl has died of a suspected drugs overdose early in the morning.
West Yorkshire Police are reporting the teenager from Oldham died shortly after 03:40 BST at the Bramham Park Site.
A 17-year-old boy from the same area has been arrested on suspicion of supplying drugs and is in police custody.
“Our thoughts are with the family of the girl who has died,” says Superintendent Matt Davison.
The festival’s police commander told the publication the exact cause of the death hasn’t been determined but it appeared the girl had “taken a combination of drugs.”
The Leeds Festival Police Twitter account are warning the public about some drugs on-site carrying “three times the normal average adult dose.” Police are identifying specific pill presses for possibly being extremely and unexpectedly potent.
Please be aware of the following named substances Donkey
Kong, Trump and Skype pills. They have been found in
circulation onsite. These are very dangerous, high strength pills, up to 3
times the normal average adult dose. pic.twitter.com/mLDnDO5JUI
— LeedsFestivalPolice (@LeedsFestPolice) August 23, 2019
“To say we are deeply saddened about this tragedy is an understatement,” says Melvin Benn, a representative for organisers Festival Republic.
“West Yorkshire Police have taken action against those that may have supplied the drugs, and we will continue to work with them as usual.”
The representative continued by reminding attendees that there is no safe way to take prohibited drugs.
“I would like to take this opportunity to remind anyone attending Reading and Leeds Festival that there is no safe way to take prohibited drugs and there are no safe prohibited drugs.”