Man busted for meth tricks cops into thinking he’s the ex-Stone Temple Pilots singer

August 22, 2014
  • Share

TMZ recently ran a false report that former Stone Temple Pilots/Velvet Revolver vocalist Scott Weiland was arrested for theft and possession of meth.

Weiland quickly refuted this, posting a video clearly showing that he was not behind bars. He also threatened legal action against TMZ.

As it turns out, the police had made a mistake. The man arrested for meth was impersonating Weiland, and the cops fell for it.

The Beverly Hills Police Department released a statement, admitting their mistake:

“On Saturday, July 26, 2014, at approximately 9:34 a.m., the Beverly Hills Police Department received a call of a shoplift that had just occurred at the Rite Aid in the 400 Block of N. Bedford Drive. Police units ultimately arrested a suspect for that crime. Upon arrest, the suspect identified himself as former Stone Temple Pilots band member Scott Weiland. The suspect was taken into custody for Burglary (459 P.C.) and Possession of a Controlled Substance (11377 H & S Code).

On Thursday, August 21, 2014, Beverly Hills Police discovered through an FBI Fingerprint Return that the subject arrested was not Scott Weiland. The fingerprint return positively identified the individual as Jason Michael Hurley (44 years of age). Beverly Hills Police will be requesting an additional criminal filing on Hurley for 148.9 (a) P.C. – Furnishing False Information to a Peace Officer. Records will be updated to properly reflect this information.”

TMZ has since updated their story, saying, “Scott Weiland is the victim of a series of screw-ups as well as incredible deception.”

Read more from the Los Angeles Times:

“The website claimed that Weiland had been in jail since July after he was arrested for shoplifting razors, and that when police searched him, they found methamphetamine.

Turns out Hurley [the man arrested] was able to trick police and jail staff into thinking he was the famous rocker, police said late Thursday night.

The hoax went on for about four weeks before it was discovered Thursday, thanks to Weiland's Facebook video.

The now properly identified inmate will most likely face charges of giving false information to officers, police said.”

Written by Matt Crane