[Photo credit: Netflix]

After initially suspending production on Netflix original series House Of Cards following sexual assault allegations surrounding lead actor Kevin Spacey, the company has now announced that Spacey's character will be written out of the final season. 

Read more: House of Cards to reportedly end after Season 6, Netflix releases statement

Netflix released the following statement Friday night:

“Netflix will not be involved with any further production of House of Cards that includes Kevin Spacey. We will continue to work with MRC during this hiatus time to evaluate our path forward as it relates to the show. We have also decided we will not be moving forward with the release of the film Gore, which was in post-production, starring and produced by Kevin Spacey.”

Earlier this week, Kevin Spacey was accused of sexual misconduct by then teenage actor Anthony Rapp.

Later, eight people who currently work on the House Of Cards set, or who have worked on it in the past, told CNN that Kevin Spacey made the set “into a toxic work environment through a pattern of sexual harassment.”

A former production assistant told the news source that Spacey sexually assaulted him during one of the show's early seasons, with all eight people describing Spacey’s behavior as “predatory,” involving “nonconsensual touching and crude comments,” targeting staffers who were typically young and male.

At the time of the initial allegations, the sixth season had been fully plotted and two episodes were filmed. Production remains halted while the writing staff handles the writing out of Spacey's character, Frank Underwood.