Reading Festival attendee dies after falling ill at event
Another attendee of Reading & Leeds Festival over the weekend has died after becoming ill at the event.
A few days ago, it was reported that a 17-year-old Leeds Festival attendee died of a suspected drugs overdose early Saturday.
Read more: Knocked Loose react to album billboard popping up at Bernie Sanders rally
Now, the BBC reports an unidentified man became ill near one of the main stages at Reading at about 11 p.m. on Saturday. Authorities transferred him to a nearby hospital and he died on Monday.
“We are investigating the circumstances of how he became ill and his death is being treated as unexplained at this time,” Reading Festival police commander Ch Supt Rob France said in a statement. “We will continue to provide support to the man’s family at this difficult time.”
As previously stated, a young woman died at Leeds Festival on Saturday after a suspected drug overdose.
West Yorkshire Police are reporting the teenager from Oldham died shortly after 03:40 BST at the Bramham Park Site.
A 17-year-old boy from the same area has been arrested on suspicion of supplying drugs and is in police custody.
“Our thoughts are with the family of the girl who has died,” says Superintendent Matt Davison.
The festival’s police commander told the publication the exact cause of the death hasn’t been determined. However, it appeared the girl had “taken a combination of drugs.”The Leeds Festival Police Twitter account are warning the public about some drugs on-site carrying “three times the normal average adult dose.” Police are identifying specific pill presses for possibly being extremely and unexpectedly potent.
Read more: ‘IT: Chapter Two’ proposed supercut would include brand new footage
“To say we are deeply saddened about this tragedy is an understatement,” says Melvin Benn, a representative for organisers Festival Republic.
“West Yorkshire Police have taken action against those that may have supplied the drugs, and we will continue to work with them as usual.”
The representative continued by reminding attendees that there is no safe way to take prohibited drugs.
“I would like to take this opportunity to remind anyone attending Reading and Leeds Festival that there is no safe way to take prohibited drugs and there are no safe prohibited drugs.”
See more: In memoriam: Musicians we lost in 2019