‘The Lion King’ revamps “Hakuna Matata” in new teaser
The countdown continues as the next Disney live-action remake of a beloved classic, The Lion King, quickly approaches release. To keep anticipation high, the film dropped yet another teaser showcasing a classic element from the original animated version.
Last month, we got a taste of Beyoncé, who plays Nala, and Donald Glover/Childish Gambino, who plays Simba, singing “Can You Feel the Love Tonight.” Now, we’re getting a look at the iconic “Hakuna Matata” moment.
The 1994 animated film showcases Timon and Pumbaa serenading a young Simba before the latter joins in on the fun. In case you need a reminder or just want to relive your childhood, check that out below.
For the upcoming 2019 version, Seth Rogen and Billy Eichner (American Horror Story) have joined the cast to portray Pumbaa and Timon respectively. A new featurette titled “The King Returns” spotlights the duo’s voice work both in speaking parts and the iconic track.
Director Jon Favreau opened up about his impressive cast and crew making the production process easier.
“The music, there was such a rich tradition surrounding the songs that Hans [Zimmer] and Elton [John] and Tim Rice and Pharrell worked on. Also, it’s nice to have actors who are both the performers and the singers. You have Beyoncé and Donald. They present something totally new and exciting. These are real musicians bringing their creative voices to this.”
You can see the full interview and the “Hakuna Matata” clip below.
More on The Lion King
Last week, The Lion King shared the tracklisting for the upcoming soundtrack, but one track was mysteriously left untitled.
With the full tracklist out, one surprise is that Elton John, who wrote many songs from the original film, has co-written a new song that will be featured in the movie. The one absent track, No. 14, is listed as TBA. It’s reportedly expected that it’s a track that Beyonce wrote for the movie remake.
You can see the full tracklist for the movie below, which includes “Hakuna Matata.”
- Lindiwe Mkhize / Lebo M: “Circle of Life / Nants’ Ingonyama”
- Hans Zimmer: “Life’s Not Fair”
- Hans Zimmer: “Rafiki’s Fireflies”
- JD McCrary / Shahadi Wright Joseph / John Oliver: “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King”
- Hans Zimmer: “Elephant Graveyard”
- Chiwetel Ejiofor: “Be Prepared (2019 Version)
- Hans Zimmer: “Stampede”
- Hans Zimmer: “Scar Takes the Throne”
- Billy Eichner / Seth Rogen / JD McCrary / Donald Glover: “Hakuna Matata”
- Hans Zimmer: “Simba Is Alive!”
- Billy Eichner / Seth Rogen: “The Lion Sleeps Tonight”
- Beyoncé / Donald Glover / Billy Eichner / Seth Rogen: “Can You Feel the Love Tonight”
- Hans Zimmer: “Reflections of Mufasa”
- Hans Zimmer: “Battle for Pride Rock”
- Hans Zimmer: “Remember”
- Elton John: “Never Too Late”
- Lebo M: “He Lives in You”
- Lebo M: “Mbube”
The reimagining of The Lion King follows the recent success of Disney’s live-action movies, including Tarzan, Maleficent, Cinderella, Beauty And The Beast and Aladdin.
In addition to Glover, Beyoncé, Rogen and Eichner, James Earl Jones has reprised his role as Mufasa. The cast also includes Keegan-Michael Key as Kamari, John Kani as Rafiki, Chiwetel Ejiofor as Scar and more.
The new Lion King opens July 19, and we seriously can’t wait to see how this movie brings these beloved characters to life. In case you haven’t watched it 100 times already, you can check out the original teaser trailer below.