‘The Lion King’ fans ridicule “Hakuna Matata” remake ahead of release
Earlier this week, we finally got a sneak peek at one of the most well-known songs from the film — ”Hakuna Matata.” However, not everyone loves the new version.
The clip of the song was featured on Jimmy Kimmel Live when Donald Glover, who voices Simba in the movie, appeared on the show.
The clip shows Simba running through the jungle and singing with Timon (Billy Eichner) and Pumbaa (Seth Rogan). You can listen to it below, with the song starting around the 6:30 mark.
You can also see the original version from the 1994 animated film below.However, there have been mixed reactions from fans about the song. Some fans think that the singing doesn’t match up with the CGI animations. They say that the lively song doesn’t match up with the characters' more toned-down demeanor. However, some people are huge fans of the recreation of the classic Disney song. You can see what they had to say on Twitter below.
More Lion King news
Last week, The Lion King shared the tracklisting for the upcoming soundtrack, but one track was mysteriously left untitled.
With the full tracklist out, one surprise is that Elton John, who wrote many songs from the original film, has co-written a new song that will be featured in the movie. The one absent track, No. 14, is listed as TBA. It’s reportedly expected that it’s a track that Beyonce wrote for the movie remake.
You can see the full tracklist for the movie below, which includes “Hakuna Matata.”
- Lindiwe Mkhize / Lebo M: “Circle of Life / Nants’ Ingonyama”
- Hans Zimmer: “Life’s Not Fair”
- Hans Zimmer: “Rafiki’s Fireflies”
- JD McCrary / Shahadi Wright Joseph / John Oliver: “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King”
- Hans Zimmer: “Elephant Graveyard”
- Chiwetel Ejiofor: “Be Prepared (2019 Version)
- Hans Zimmer: “Stampede”
- Hans Zimmer: “Scar Takes the Throne”
- Billy Eichner / Seth Rogen / JD McCrary / Donald Glover: “Hakuna Matata”
- Hans Zimmer: “Simba Is Alive!”
- Billy Eichner / Seth Rogen: “The Lion Sleeps Tonight”
- Beyoncé / Donald Glover / Billy Eichner / Seth Rogen: “Can You Feel the Love Tonight”
- Hans Zimmer: “Reflections of Mufasa”
- Hans Zimmer: “Battle for Pride Rock”
- Hans Zimmer: “Remember”
- Elton John: “Never Too Late”
- Lebo M: “He Lives in You”
- Lebo M: “Mbube”
The reimagining of The Lion King follows the recent success of Disney’s live-action movies, including Tarzan, Maleficent, Cinderella, Beauty And The Beast and Aladdin.
In addition to Glover, Beyoncé, Rogen and Eichner, James Earl Jones has reprised his role as Mufasa. The cast also includes Keegan-Michael Key as Kamari, John Kani as Rafiki, Chiwetel Ejiofor as Scar and more.
The new Lion King opens July 19, and we seriously can’t wait to see how this movie brings these beloved characters to life. In case you haven’t watched it 100 times already, you can check out the original teaser trailer below.
How excited are you for the film to come out next week? Sound off in the comments down below!