Child's Play Chucky

It looks like Child’s Play creator Don Mancini will be having no involvement with MGM’s Chucky reboot, as he’s not happy about it even happening.

Mancini wrote all seven films to date and directed the last three, but will have no involvement with the forthcoming reboot starring Aubrey Plaza and Brian Tyree Henry.

Read more: Santa Claus kicks metal vocalist’s ass at benefit show—watch


Speaking on the Post Mortem podcast, Mancini commented, “Obviously my feelings were hurt.”

“You know, I had just done two movies…forgive me if I sound defensive, [they] were both at 83 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. Even though they didn’t get theatrical releases, they were well regarded. And I did create the character and nurture the franchise for three fucking decades.”

If that weren’t enough, Mancini’s version of the series hasn’t even ended yet. “It was hard not to feel like I was being patronized. They just wanted our approval, which I strenuously denied them,” said Mancini.

When asked by the studio if he and David Kirschner wanted to be executive producers on the film, Mancini turned them down. ““We said, ‘No thank you,’ because we have our ongoing thriving business with Chucky… I hesitate to say too much about it because I don’t want to sound like I’m belly-aching too much. But the producers of that movie are the producers of It.”

“How would they feel if there was some legal loophole that allowed David Kirschner and I to swoop in and make our own ‘It’ movie with our own version of Pennywise and say, ‘Hey guys, we would love to put your names on it?’ I imagine they wouldn’t like it.”

“That’s how I feel. The people who are making that movie, they don’t know how that’s going to affect my livelihood. It’s not just a paycheck. It’s very personal. MGM’s screwing with that…potentially.”

What we know about the reboot so far

It was revealed back in July that a Child’s Play reboot was on the horizon, with It producers David Katzenberg and Seth Grahame-Smith producing the movie. Lars Klevberg directs the new film from a Tyler Burton Smith script.

Earlier this month, the film’s Twitter account posted an up-close image of the movie’s killer doll with what appears to be a kitchen knife. As if that wasn’t unsettling enough, we then got an official poster showing a toy box set in the middle of what appears to be a factory surrounded by other boxes. The name Buddi is emblazoned across the bottom of the box. Instead of the original flick’s “Good Guys” toy brand moniker.

A new website for the upcoming Child’s Play remake touts a farcical preorder for a “Buddi” doll that appears quite ominous.

The name change alone suggests the doll itself would look different. The logo also includes a wi-fi signal, which lends back to the original plot reveal about a contemporary update. Child’s Play hits theaters June 21, the same month that Toy Story 4 drops. So great ready for a lot of toys!

What do you think about Mancini’s statement? Let us know in the comments!

See more: The 10 most metal cartoon characters