Woodstock, Woodstock 50
[Photo via Wikimedia Commons/Derek Redmond and Paul Campbell]
UPDATE: April 29, 6:20 P.M. EST

Michael Lang, the promoter and driving force of Woodstock 50, has denied that the event is canceled.

“They do not have the right to unilaterally cancel the festival,” Lang said in an interview shortly after Dentsu Aegis Network released their statement.  He also revealed that all the festival’s acts have already been paid in full and that Woodstock 50 could be rescued if they secured another backer.

According to The New York Times, several major music agents and acts booked for the gig said they have not received any notification of the cancellation.

ORIGINAL: April 29, 1:55 P.M. EST

Earlier today, it was announced by the investors of Woodstock 50 that the festival has been canceled.

Now, the organizers of the festival are denying those claims, saying the festival is still on.

Read more: Sum 41 announce UK headlining tour, reveal support

“Woodstock 50 vehemently denies the festival’s cancellation and legal remedy will (be) sought,” a statement from Woodstock 50 said to the Poughkeepsie Journal.

As previously stated,  Dentsu Aegis Network, the company funded the festival, put out a statement saying the festival was canceled.

“Despite our tremendous investment of time, effort and commitment, we don’t believe the production of the festival can be executed as an event worthy of the Woodstock Brand name while also ensuring the health and safety of the artists, partners and attendees, “ the statement read.

“As a result and after careful consideration, Dentsu Aegis Network’s Amplifi Live, a partner of Woodstock 50, has decided to cancel the festival. As difficult as it is, we believe this is the most prudent decision for all parties involved.,” it continued.

The news of the cancelation comes after rumors spread that it would be canceled when the ticket sale date was postponed. However, the founder denied the rumors, saying the festival was still on.

It was then revealed that the ticket sales were pushed back due to a lack of a mass gathering permit.

When the festival was announced, it received major backlash or their recent shift in genre. Additionally, many folks believe the festival has strayed from its roots and become a cash-grab of sorts.

The headliners included Halsey, the Killers, Jay-Z, Chance The Rapper and Miley Cyrus. The Black Keys were also set to headline, but dropped out.  

Woodstock’s 50th anniversary festival was set to welcome Woodstock-era staples such as Dead & Company, Santana, John Fogerty and Robert Plant And The Sensational Shape Shifters. Additionally, other bands that will definitely ring a bell to scene enthusiasts include Fever 333, Bishop Briggs, Grandson and Boygenius.

The festival was going to take place on the 50th anniversary of the classic Woodstock. You can check out what would have been the full lineup for the festival here.

Now, it’s unclear whether or not the statement is actually called off or not, so we’ll have to wait and see.

What do you think about everything surrounding Woodstock 50? Sound off in the comments below!

See more: 10 surprising artists you won’t believe appeared on AP’s cover